21 December 2009

Lets Take A Walk 2009, A charity even that raised funds & awareness for Boys' Town and Raleigh Society





When you put guys like this in a 50km WALK, their qualities seem to come out of their every pore. Fortunately, this is a walking event, otherwise they could have buried me alive!

100km walk started half hour earlier. Team Vibram Five lead the 50km pack from the very beginning. Eventually we caught up with most if not all the 100km teams in front. Heavy rains must have dampened the spirit of the event. As we progress closer to 40km, we must have probably put all the 100km teams behind us. Frankly, from here on I felt no challenge. We must have pushed our self too fast.

We settled down for a well deserved Macdonald break besides International Plaza. That 5 stooges sitting outside Macdonald on the floor eating away like never been eating for years. That must be the best Macdonald outlet we ever visited. While people insides may take hours to finish their Mac meals, it took just seconds to swallow two Mac in each of us. It just melt away!

As we move forward, I have never found myself so lonely in front. Fortunately, we are a team, otherwise I wouldn't want to play on. I'd be in a cab home. So, it isn't with much aplomb and surprise that Team Vibram came in number one eventually. Nevertheless, it is a sweet finishing. And personally for me, achieving a 9hr40 in a 50km walk is truly remarkable. More so that we are in VFF barefoot. It is something that I can savour for a long time to come.

And having that STEVEN WONG with a team of young and strong athletes may look a total misfit in every sense. Hey...this is a walking event you know J I think I am coping well and there is no reason to fault me, haha.

Chris, Johnson, Kah Shin, Bernard

It is an opportunity of a life time to be amongst you bros as a team. We are of different breed. You are very much a runner and on the contrary, walking is my forte. It is totally a different sport. Nonetheless, I hope you have enjoyed this gruelling walk as much as I do. As a team, we gel well. No yakking. No hair pulling brawl and no single instant of flaring tempers. The camaraderie amongst us provide an amiable platform to integrate with hearty chats and laughter that ruled the way. Man, this is a best team I ever had! Xmas has never been so early and wonderful. Have a good rest and recovery bro!

Ahtapon, Elaine and Chin, Anne,

Many thanks to you for keeping us company on certain segment of route. Your walk with us gave us the boost that is much needed in such an endurance event. Thanks for all the pictures. Special thanks to Ahtapon who tag along with heavy bags of foods and drinks. That 30km segment that you walk with us are deeply appreciated. And aside to Elaine, how we wish that you can stay with us throughout. That way, I think sub 9 could be achievable J

Nick, Pauline,

Thanks again for the product sponsor. We were a little ambitious in doing a VFF barefoot without any prior training with it. I do agreed that it could have been much easier if we could have gradually built to embrace it. We are nonetheless proud to have achieved this hard feat. Personally I find it much easier to walk with VFF in a soaked wet environment. On top of all this, it does helps in strengthening my calf and sole.

Sok Hong,

We are proud to don Nature Valley colour. Going green as a team really boost in us a strong identity that attract attention. Importantly, it relates well with green environment, the much talk about Copenhagen summit currently. And as usual your NV bars has always been our saviour to stretch our distance. 

And to All,

And so, another endurance event has come and gone. You people has always been an inspiration and motivation that kept my lifestyle active and refreshing. For now, let's not talk about sports. Let us get back to our love ones for a good Christmas and welcome the 2010. May 2010 brings you better health, fitness and many more memorable events. On behalf of Team Vibram Five, I wish one and all a MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Steven Wong
Team Vibram Five


1 comment:

Teong said...

Hi, I'm keen in getting the Vibram FiveFingers for running. May I know where could I get good deals for them in Singapore as most places selling them at standard retail prices? Thank you.

Ray.